Adults may not use a child’s card to check out material. Adults MUST use their card to check out material, including childrens materials.
Permission slips: Anyone picking up material for another person (who has been given permission) will also have their library card record check for outstanding fines/overdue material. If either party has outstanding material/fine the material will not be checked out.
A $5 non-refundable service charge is included in the cost of the material.
Materials owned by other libraries may be paid for at the South Milwaukee Public Library, but refunds MUST be claimed at the owning library. Charges for damaged materials are assessed by the owning library.
It takes just a few minutes to get a libary card!
- Complete an application
- Present two forms of identification, one showing your current address and one with your legal name.
- Children under the age of 15 must have a parent or legal guardian’s signature.
- You library card will be issued immediately. It is valid at any public library in Milwaukee County.
- A library card may only be used by the person to whom it was issued.
- Report all changes of address, name or phone number and e-mail addresses immediately.
- There is a $1 replacement fee for lost cards.
- New Borrowers will be limited to 5 items for the first three months after getting their library card.
- There is a .25 charge for checking out materials WITHOUT your library card.
Loan Periods-3 day Rental DVDs
$1 for three days
Not renewable or reservable
Must be returned to the South Milwaukee Public Library otherwise the overdue charges continue
Overdue charges $ .50 per day. NO GRACE PERIOD
Loan Periods- 7 day Materials
- Videotapes (limit 20)
- DVDs (limit 20)
- CD-ROMs (limit 5)
Loan Periods- 3 Week Materials
- Books and paperbacks
- Compact Discs (limit 20)
- Audio books- cassette or cd
- Large print books
- Record albums
South Milwaukee owned items which have been checked out for 3 weeks may be renewed twice if no reserves have been placed on the item. The exception is the DVD’s and VHS tapes. They may be renewed only once. South Milwaukee owned items which have been checked out for 1 week may be renewed once.
How to Renew Materials?
You may renew items at the library (items must be brought to the library). DVD’s and VHS tapes may only be renewed once. All other material may be renewd twice provided no one has a “hold” on the item. You may renew online on the CountyCat site. You may call the automated services at 277-0183.
The overdue charge is .10 a day. There is a 3 day grace period. Fines must be paid in order to use the Internet stations or to checkout materials. After the three day gace period, fines are calculated from the due date. Fines are charged for Sundays and holidays. Items returned BEFORE 9:00am will be considered returned the previous business day. Charges on materials owned by other libraries may vary. Paying with a credit card or debit card is now available ONLINE ONLY through the CountyCat website. Failure to pick up or cancel reserved items will result in a $1 charge to your account. Items returned with parts missing will incur charges of $1 per day until all parts are returned.