Besides a large collection of books and media, your South Milwaukee Public Library offers a variety of other services. Please visit Current Services for an up-to-date list of our services and hours.
- Computer and Internet Access: We have ten computer stations in the adult area and four in the children’s area. These computers are free to use; a valid Milwaukee County library card is required to log in. All computers have internet access and word processing capabilities and are printing-ready (15¢ per page for black and white prints, 50¢ per page for color prints). Children must have a permission form signed by a parent or guardian on file in order to use a public computer.
- WiFi: Free WiFi is available throughout the building & reaches to the end of the parking lot. There is no password needed.
- Inter-Library Loan: Inter-library loan service is available to obtain some materials not available within the Milwaukee County Federated Library System. You must have a valid, fine-free Milwaukee County library card to use this service.
- Catalog Computers: Three catalog computers are available for use to see if an item is available and to place holds on items.
- Notary: We offer a free notary service for South Milwaukee residents (if a non-resident there is a $1 per page fee) whenever a notary is on staff. Be sure to call ahead to see if a notary is available when you plan to visit. Please note: Notaries are allowed to deny a notarization request if the document is incomplete, the signer does not understand what is being notarized, they suspect the document will be used for illegal purposes, or if the notary is not familiar with or is uncomfortable with what is being notarized.
- Exam Proctoring: Our librarians are happy to proctor an exam for you. Be sure to contact us seven days in advance for availability.
- Study Rooms: Study rooms are not available at this time.
We have three small study rooms available on a first come, first served basis. Study rooms fit 1-2 people.
- Meeting Rooms: Local organizations and clubs can use our meeting rooms free of charge. Groups must have an application on file. The rooms are available during regular library hours and must be vacated 15 minutes prior to closing. Due to advice from our health department, meetings can have a maximum of 10 participants and there are limited reservations available per day. They are not available for showers, birthday parties, demonstrations, etc. Click for our meeting room application and policy. Please email your application to SMPL.email@example.com or turn it in at the reference desk.
- Display Case: We have a display case available in the lobby. If you are interested in displaying your hobby or collection, please contact us at SMPL.Ref@mcfls.org
- Programming: We offer a variety of children’s, teen, and adult programs throughout the year. Check our calendar for the latest offerings!
- Newspapers: The library receives the following publications for in-house use: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee Business Journal, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, IBD Weekly, Barron’s, and Daily Reporter. Ask at the desk for back issues of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Organization Cards: If you are a business, day care, or nursing home in South Milwaukee, you are eligible for a free organization library card to use the South Milwaukee Public Library. See the staff at the desk for more information.
- Board Games: Available for 7 days checkout, no renewals, holds, or grace-period.
- Tax Forms: State and Federal tax forms can be printed for you at a cost of 15¢ per page.
At this time, we are only able to accept cash for these services.
- Copies: The cost for copies is 15¢ per page for black and white, and 50¢ for color.
- Faxes: We are able to send faxes for you at the desk for $1.00 per page.
- Printing (with valid MCFLS library card if Milwaukee County resident): The cost for printed pages from our public computers is 15¢ per page for black and white, and 50¢ for color.
- For mobile printing information, go to our Printing page.
- Scan to Email or Flash Drive: You can scan a document or image to an email or flash drive for 15¢ per page.
- Book Nook Book Sale: Children’s books available on our “Book Nook” shelf are 25¢ while all other items are $1.00 each unless marked. This sale is available whenever the library is open.
- Semi-Annual Basement Book Sale: We typically have two large book sales each year in the library basement. This event is sponsored by the Friends of the South Milwaukee Public Library. Most items are $1.00 or less.
- Flash Drives: Flash drives are available for purchase at the reference desk for $5.00 each.
Apps & Technological Services
See the reference desk if you need help accessing the following services.
- CountyCat Website & App: Access your library account from home and on the go with the CountyCat website and mobile app! On CountyCat, you can view your checked out materials, place holds on items, pay fines, and renew materials.
- Libby: Libby is an app by Overdrive that allows you to check out a variety of e-books and e-audiobooks from the library.
- Overdrive: Use Overdrive to download e-books and e-audiobooks from the library to your device.
- Hoopla: Hoopla allows you to check out up to four digital items per month on an easy-to-use digital platform. Download the Hoopla app to your device or use Hoopla on your computer. Hoopla offers e-books, e-audiobooks, graphic novels, music, movies, and television shows.
- DMV Practice Tests and WI Driver’s Handbook: A comprehensive resource for anyone looking to obtain a permit or a license. Includes step-by-step instruction, WI Driver’s Handbook access, practice tests, and other resources. Start your free 2021 WI DMV practice test now!
- Gale Courses: Sign up for a variety of online courses in business, technology, and more with Gale Courses.
- Database Access: With a Milwaukee County library card, you have access to a number of online databases.
- Sign Up for Email or Text Notices: Get e-mail or text reminders when items are available to pick up or coming due. Ask for e-mail notifications the next time you’re in the library. Text the word SIGNUP to (833) 568-6639 and follow the instructions to sign up for text notices. Or, ask for text notifications the next time you’re in the library and add (833) 568-6639 to your contact list. PLEASE NOTE: There is no fee for the text service, but your mobile service provider’s regular text-messaging rates may apply.
- Reference: Reference staff is available whenever the library is open to assist you with ordering items, finding materials, printing and copying, research, digital resources, and more. Please remember that while we may be able to assist with computer-related questions, basic computer knowledge is required to use our public computers.
- Readers’ Advisory: Looking for something different to read? At a loss as to what title to pick up next? Ask a reference librarian for recommendations!
- Children’s Reference: A staff member is typically present in the children’s room whenever the library is open. We are happy to help with book recommendations, finding materials, providing information on programs, and more.